We want to help people come to life and to experience the radical grace that God offers through a relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ.
CREATION: God has some wonderful purposes for our life and all of creation. (Glory)
- We were created for God’s pleasure! We exist for God’s benefit, his glory, his purpose, and his delight. Bringing enjoyment to God, living for his pleasure, is the first purpose of our life. We are able to bring pleasure to God through worship, which is far more than music – anything we do that brings glory to God is an act of worship. Every activity can be transformed into an act of worship when we do it for the praise, glory, and pleasure of God.“You created everything, and it is for your pleasure that they exist and were created” (Revelation 4:11 NLT).
- We were formed by and for God’s family! Because God is love, and exists as One God in three persons (The Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) he treasures relationships. At Christ Church Mansfield, we want to welcome you into our church family and get to know you better. Foundations Class is our basic introduction to Jesus and His church and is designed to explain what we believe and what we’re all about. Whether you’re looking to take your first step in a relationship with Jesus Christ, get baptized, or get plugged into a small group, we are here to offer you guidance and support.“God’s unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave him great pleasure” (Ephesians 1:5 NLT).
- We were created to become like Christ! Spiritual growth is not so much about “doing” as it is about “becoming” – becoming more like Christ. It’s a life-long adventure that takes patience, commitment, and intentional focus. Ultimately, the Christian life is about building an intimate relationship with Jesus as the Holy Spirit changes us from the inside out, and loving others the way Jesus loves us.“As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more” (2 Corinthians 3:18b NLT).
- We were shaped to walk with and serve God and neighbor! When we become a Christian, God gives us salvation and the hope of eternity with Him in heaven. He also gives us the opportunity to serve others and make a real difference in our community. Every member of Christ Church is a minister, which simple means servant: we love and serve God and our community to the best of our ability. We all are shaped by God with individual gifts and talents that are to be used to support the body of Christ.“ For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10).
- We were made for a mission! God is at work in the world, and he wants us to join him. God wants us to share and spread His love wherever we are. As a student, mother, teacher, salesman, manager, or whatever we do, God wants you to reach out to the people in your life, to serve them, love them, bless them, and share with them all that God has given to us. That might mean inviting a friend to church or showing love to those in need around you. God invites us to participate in the greatest, largest, most diverse, and most significant cause in history – his kingdom.“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15)
But there is a problem…
FALL – Man has rebelled against God and chooses to live life independently from Him and His purposes (Sin).
God has these great purposes for us, but we have sinned against Him, making it impossible to fulfill the eternal purposes God has in mind for us. We have ignored His rules and disobeyed His commandments, but more importantly, we have broken His heart and none of us can escape the responsibility of this.
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23 ESV)
Left to ourselves we will choose anything and everything but God to make us happy or to give our lives significance, meaning, and purpose. This is the essence of sin: rejecting the God of life and replacing Him with a substitute leading only to death, destruction, and dysfunction. The Bible refers to this as idolatry, and explains it as the life of exchanging “the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator.” (Romans 1:25).
And because of our sin and idolatry, breaking God’s heart and ruining His purposes for us and all creation we are spiritually dead and separated from God, unable to experience His love or live out His purposes as we are. In fact, if we remain as we are, as unforgiven sinners, we will spend eternity separated from God, His love, and His new creation in hell.
“For the wages of sin is death…” (Romans 6:23 ESV)
But God has the perfect solution!
REDEMPTION: God sends a new man, a perfect man, to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. (Christ)
We have sinned, we’ve lost our way, and we’re sentenced to death as a result, but God is love and God loves us too deeply to leave us lost. Instead, He has taken the initiative to send His one and only Son, Jesus, to earth, to be our Savior, our Rescuer, our Redeemer.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16 ESV)
“But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8 ESV)
The greatest display of God’s love is not in His work of creation, but in His work of redemption – buying back a sinful and rebellious people by placing Himself in their place on the cross, suffering and experiencing death for their sin.
Just what did Jesus accomplish when He died on the cross? He paid the penalty that our sins had incurred for us. And because He has paid for sin, He offers us forgiveness for our sin. The penalty has fallen on Him so it would no longer fall on us. This is what is so amazing about God and His grace!
We substituted ourselves for Him; He substitutes Himself for us.
We live a life that says to God, “Not your will, but my will be done”; and Jesus lives a life that says, “Not my will, but your will be done” to His Heavenly Father.
“Amazing love, how can it be, that You my God would die for me!” – Charles Wesley, And Can it Be, Christian hymn.
But even more than that wonderful forgiveness of our sin, and even more than just giving us a new opportunity, a fresh start, or a clean slate, He offers us new life in Himself!
We deserve death; Jesus experiences death in order to bring us life. This is the glorious good news – the gospel – of Jesus Christ.
“But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ – by grace you have been saved…” (Ephesians 2:4-5 ESV)
RESTORATION AND RENEWAL – GOD’S NEW CREATION: You must respond to Jesus and what He has done for you. (Faith)
In order to receive the gift of God’s grace, His forgiveness of your sin, and to begin to live out God’s intended purposes for you, not only during your life on earth, but for all of eternity in heaven, you must respond to what Jesus has done for you on the cross. God lovingly and openly adopts into His eternal family anyone and everyone who comes to Him by faith in Jesus.
“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved… For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:9,13 ESV)
To receive Jesus today, simply turn from your sins and trust in Him and what He has done for you on the cross. Believe that He died to save you and rose again to give you eternal life. You can express this belief in a simple prayer, offered from a sincere heart…
A WAY TO RESPOND – PRAY
Dear God, thank you for having greater purposes for my life, and more love for me than sin in me. I acknowledge that I have failed to live for you on my own and that I have sinned against you. But I believe that Jesus Christ, Your only Son, died to pay for my sins and rose again from the dead so that I could trust in Him as my Savior and have eternal life. I receive Jesus today as my Savior and commit to live the rest of my life for Him and for Your glory! Amen.